Back end designed with the user in mind
DETROIT – When it comes to pickup trucks, the usability of the back end is just as important as the power under the hood. Customer-focused innovations to the cargo box of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado were designed to make it easier to see, secure and access what’s back there.
“Silverado owners are the doers of the world,” said Lloyd Biermann, Silverado marketing manager. “Our goal when designing the Silverado’s pickup box was to create something that was stronger, more durable and versatile to help our owners get their toughest jobs done.”
Owners says they most frequently use their trucks for everyday projects. Two out of three use their truck for hauling. Seasoned truck owners want a pickup that makes loading and securing cargo as simple as possible. Making it easier to climb into the truck bed and retrieve items is a bonus.
“For the real truck buyer, they want a pickup that puts up with their abuse without making any compromises from the back end of the truck,” said Mark Williams of PickupTrucks.com. “The whole point of having a pickup is about solving problems, not creating them."
From design to functionality, the Silverado pickup box is engineered to be the most innovative cargo box in its segment with these features:
- LED Box Lights – Located in the cargo box, under the side rails, the available lights turn on with the standard overhead box lamp and make it easier to find cargo in the bed, even under a tonneau cover.
- EZ Lift & Lower Tailgate – An internal torsion bar reduces the effort to raise the tailgate while a rotary damper allows for a controlled and more gradual lowering motion when opening it.
- CornerStep Bumper – Unique steps incorporated into the corners of the rear bumper are designed to accommodate work boots and can be used with the tailgate up or down.
- Hand Grip Pockets – Located within the rails, at the rear of the cargo box, they provide easier access into the cargo box and work in tandem with the CornerStep Bumper.
- Removable Upper Tie-Down Hooks – Allow maximum flexibility to secure cargo of varying shapes and sizes and can be placed in several locations around the cargo box.
“Every time we get into a new Silverado and fill the bed with payload, we're reminded just how much thought their truck engineers put into, what we believe is, the most important part of a pickup – the bed," said Williams.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.