• Manueverable cargo van for urban environments
• 122.7 cubic feet (3,474 liters) of cargo space and a 1,500-pound (860 kg) payload capacity
• Cargo area offers 6’10” of length between rear doors and the front seats; 4’6” between the side walls
• Fold-down passenger seat that converts into a work table
• Efficient 2.0L engine/CVT powertrain combination
2016 CHEVROLET CITY EXPRESS DELIVERS THE GOODS
The 2016 Chevrolet City Express matches maneuverability and cargo-hauling flexibility with efficiency, giving urban commercial business owners and fleet managers value-driven capability with lower operating costs than full-size vans.
It offers 122.7 cubic feet (3,474 liters) of customizable cargo space, a tight turning diameter of only 36.7 feet (11.2 meters) and a payload capacity of 1,500 pounds (680 kg). It also delivers greater fuel efficiency than full-size vans, thanks to its smaller size and a 2.0L inline-four-cylinder engine with continuously variable valve timing.
The City Express – offered in LS and LT trims – is based on the Nissan NV200, which GM procures from Nissan and distributes through Chevrolet’s network of 3,200 dealers.
Standard features include dual rear sliding doors, power windows, 40/60 split rear cargo doors that open 90 and 180 degrees, solid rear doors with available tinted-glass windows, center console storage with a standard file folder bin, fold-down mobile workspace passenger seat, 20 interior cargo-mounting points, six floor-mounted D-rings, six exterior roof rack mounting points, vinyl flooring, a 150-amp alternator and a 12-volt power outlet.
The LS model adds standard features including cruise control, Bluetooth connectivity and backup sensors. Remote keyless entry with an automatic locking feature and heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard on the LT.
Versatile and well-equipped
The City Express’s all-important cargo area is designed for one thing: Function. In addition to its 122.7 cubic feet of cargo room, the space is designed to accommodate large and bulky items, with 4’6” of space from side wall to side wall. That’s more than enough room to load a standard 40” x 48” pallet flat on the floor.
There’s also 6’10” of room from the rear doors to the back of the front seats, and when the passenger seat is folded, the length for longer items grows to 9’8”. The tops of the rear wheel houses are flat, too, to enable tiered storage when a platform is used on them.
The tall rear doors are a 40/60-split design, with the 60-percent side on the right (curb) side for easy access from a sidewalk. The 40-percent left-side door is shorter, reducing its potential intrusion into the street when open. Both rear doors feature dual opening positions of 90 degrees and 180 degrees, while the standard sliding left- and right-hand side doors are designed for low effort.
City Express also offers driver- and passenger-side sliding door windows and windows for the rear doors.
As a mobile work environment, the City Express’s interior blends functionality with comfort and convenience. The driver's seat is mounted in a high, “commanding” position for excellent outward visibility. A six-way-adjustable seat with manual lumbar and armrest is designed for durability with an outboard vinyl wear patch. The passenger's seat is a four-way-adjustable design. Height-adjustable front seat head restraints and front door map pockets are also standard. The passenger seat slide travel is nearly 9.5 inches that can make more room for cargo.
The center console features laptop/hanging file folder storage, a pen/pencil tray, CD holder and dual cupholders. Recessed storage areas on the upper instrument panel are designed for folders and documents. A convenient sliding drawer for additional storage is located under the passenger seat. Also, the passenger seat folds down to serve as a worktop or lunch table – and it extends the cargo space for hauling longer items such as pipe or lumber. The durable 15x13-inch tray built into the seatback accommodates most laptops.
• Twenty integrated cargo-mounting points throughout the interior
• Six floor-mounted D-rings
• Six exterior roof rack mounting points
• Standard vinyl floor throughout
• Standard solid rear doors with tinted-glass windows and rear defogger available
• Standard power windows
• Power door locks standard on LT
• Standard driver information center with fuel range, average speed, oil life, tire pressure monitoring, fuel used, ice warning, engine hours, average fuel economy, tachometer, outside temperature display and maintenance reminders
• Additional 12-volt power outlet standard on LT
• Remote keyless entry with automatic locking feature standard on LT
• Heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors standard on LT
• Cruise control standard on LT (available on LS)
• Backup sensors standard on LT (available on LS).
A Technology package available on LT models includes a 5.8-inch touch screen, navigation, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio (with free trial period), upgraded Bluetooth phone connectivity, a USB input and a rearview camera system.
Bluetooth connectivity is standard on LS models.
Under the hood
The City Express’s DOHC 2.0L inline-four engine with variable valve timing is rated at 131 horsepower (98 kW) and 139 lb-ft of torque (188 Nm). It drives the front wheels via a continuously variable transmission that contributes to efficiency by optimizing torque delivery across the rpm band.
A body-integral chassis is designed to provide a balance of strength and low mass that enhances efficiency and the feeling of performance. A MacPherson-strut suspension is located in the front and there’s a truck-style multi-leaf rear suspension. Other chassis features include 15-inch wheels, front disc brakes and efficiency-enhancing electric power steering.
Four-wheel anti-lock brakes and electronic brake-force distribution are standard, as is an electronic stability control system.
The City Express also comes with six standard airbags: dual-stage frontal air bags, side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain air bags for side-impact and rollover protection.
Chevrolet offers City Express with excellent coverage:
• Three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
• Five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty
• Chevrolet’s Complete Care two-year/24,000-mile scheduled maintenance
• Certain types of commercial and government fleet customers receive the 5-year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty.
Importantly, the City Express is serviced at all of the 3,200 Chevy dealerships across the United States – the largest dealer network in the country.